I played around with a dead bug yesterday.
Another Skillshare class complete! This one was Yuko Shimizu's Ink Drawing Techniques class. Yuko is master Illustrator and an excellent teacher. It was a really enjoyable class and i'm looking forward to using brush inking techniques more in my future work. This also served as a Mother's Day gift for my Mom because she loves Roseate Spoonbills.
And the original black and white version:
I just completed Leah Goren's Skillshare class: Illustration & Inspiration: Keeping a Sketchbook. There are no real rules to keeping a sketchbook, but I wanted to try filling one with completed images. I'm trying out new styles and techniques and really enjoying the process. Here are a few images I've completed in the class:
We're back on tour. Before we left, I told myself I would create more art and capture more while we are on the road. Sometimes the days are so repetitive that it's hard to remember each place we visit. I'm hoping this helps to save those memories for years to come.
When the drives are long and way boring, I do van doodles:
AMATEURS IS OUT! I'm so excited to say that this EP is finally out. It has been almost 3 years since we've been able to release music and we are really proud of these songs. You can listen on all online streaming sites and or buy it on iTunes and Amazon. Or come see us and get one in person!
Here are some upcoming tour dates with Rooney. Click through for more dates.
I had another fun opportunity to collaborate with Krewe Du Optic for a special weekend of festivities. I did over 35 illustrations for their New Orleans City Guide and designed their souvenir Mardi Gras cup. I posted a few of my favorite illustrations from the guide below:
I'm going to share a DIY Ikea hack project I did, just because I'm so happy with the way it turned out. I've had this Ikea Aneboda dresser for about 5 years. It's great for storage, but it's not very good looking. Since it's so useful, I decided to find a way to spruce it up instead of trying to sell it for a few bucks.
I spent a total of about $53 on all of the materials.
- Pre-glued real wood veneer from Home Depot
- 4 - 5 1/2" Wooden Round tapered furniture feet from Lowe's
- 4 Angle top plates from Lowe's
- Wood stain
- 4 stainless steel pull bar handles
First, I measured and cut the veneer to fit on top of the paneling. I couldn't decide whether it would be easier to stain before or after I glued the the wood, but I ended up staining before. (This was the wrong thing to do.)
When it came time to put the legs on, I had a little bit of trouble. The pre-existing holes wouldn't work with the top plates I found, so I had to drill new holes. I carefully measured each new spot for the top plate, and fitted the legs to make sure the dresser would stand up properly and securely.
After I knew the legs were secure, I taped and spray painted them white.
Last thing to do was glue the veneer onto the panels after the stain had dried for over 24 hours. I had the most trouble with this part. The first thing I did was to try to iron with a paper bag in-between the iron and the wood. That was a stupid mistake. It ruined the stain on one of the panels. So, from then on I used a towel. This worked a little better, but if the iron got too hot, it would stick the towel to the veneer. So, if I could, I would go back in time and stain the veneer AFTER glueing it to the panels. Lesson learned. Also, the glue on the veneer is pretty toxic. I would recommend wearing a mask and opening a few windows while working with this stuff.
The stain is a little spotty and the veneer is a little warped, but all-in-all I am really happy with how it turned out. It looks much better than it did before, and now I can keep it for another 10 years without rolling my eyes every time I look at it. #ikeahack
Thanks for looking!
Here's the artwork I did for Royal Teeth's newest single release, Kids Conspire. It's been over two years since our last release, so I'm really excited to have new music out in the world. Click the image below and give it a listen.